Saturday, March 6, 2010

On Second-Hand Stuff.

As a follow up to my post on budgeting, I thought I'd mention my recent love-affair with second-hand stuff. For Tristin, I have access to a fantastic store called Once Upon a Child. If you've never been there, or don't have one in your city/province/country, the way it works is this:

1) Bring in whatever your child doesn't wear/use/play with anymore, provided that it's clean and in good condition.
2) The salesperson will appraise it, and give you cash or store credit.
3) Shop for new clothes/items/toys for your child's current developmental stage.
4) Lather, rinse, repeat! You can basically get a whole "new" wardrobe for your child every 3-4 months for around $20, if you're smart and careful!

For myself, I mostly rely on friends who are clearing out their wardrobes or buying new furniture, and then, there's always classified websites.

Now, don't get me wrong; second-handing is A LOT of work, if you want to REALLY make good. But it can be done! I've been burned a couple of times, but overall I've come out ahead - and that feels pretty darned good!

No comments:

Post a Comment