Sunday, February 7, 2010

On Cloth Wipes.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I made the decision to switch over to cloth wipes. It's something I've been meaning to do for some time; really, I've just been procrastinating. I honestly believed that cloth wipes would be more difficult, messier, and less effective than disposables - after all, disposable wipes were just so convenient for everything, from diapers to faces to a quick-clean of the high chair tray.

Boy was I wrong.

See, with the throwaway wipes, I was faced with the choice of putting the used wipes into the dirty diaper (like you would with a disposable diaper), only to have to peel them out afterwards - or, tossing them into the trash as I went, which can be a difficult trick while trying to hold a wriggling 25 pound baby's ankles up to keep his bum out of the poopy diaper on the change table.

Now, with the cloth wipes, I can lay them down in the dipe as I go - thus reducing the chance of Tristin's bum getting dirty again - and then just throw the whole thing into the diaper pail, to be washed all at the same time. What could be easier than that? And, as an added bonus, I made the wipes out of my old prefolds. Super-soft and lint-free from being washed 40 or 50 times, they make perfect wipes. And they're absorbant enough that if Tristin happens to turn the waterworks back on, no problem - I've got it covered!

(N.B. I also made my own wipes solution, using a very simple formula: 2 cups of warm water, 1 1/2 Tbsp of vitamin E oil or baby oil, and 1 1/2 Tbsp of baby shampoo or whatever you usually use during baby's bathtime. I keep it in an empty shampoo bottle, since I prefer wetting the wipes, but you can also use a squirty bottle and spray baby's bottom directly!)

No comments:

Post a Comment